First, have you wondered why all the news from your Google search seems to spell climate D-O-O-M? Maybe its because the UN has teamed up with the search engine to
The Green New Deal (read it for yourself; its not long), floating around Congress on a cloud of cow farts, is quite a grand and far-reaching manifesto. Here are differing views from the media, think tanks, and other interested parties. They describe it better than I.
Even though the GND is “impossible”, reliably left Slate opines that‘s why some people like it. Impossible plans are good for thinking and thinking leads to dreaming, and dreaming is the only way that change occurs.
But the journey from dreams to reality is perilous. According to Big Think, the GND is a “catalyst to radically restructure the US economy and social structure”. Speaking of peril, among the goals the sponsors want to achieve through government action are:
- Universal health care
- Universal basic income
- Right to affordable housing
- Restoration of the Glass-Steagall Act
- Revoking corporate personhood
- Abolishing the Electoral College
- Repealing the Patriot Act
- Re-establishing strong labor unions
- Breaking up too-big-to-fail banks
- Relieving debt for students and homeowners
- Reducing military funding
- Overhauling the military-industrial complex.