In Re Louisiana Crawfish Producers arises out of the collision between two of Louisiana’s favored enterprises: crawfish and hydrocarbons.
There is lots of legalese, of interest primarily to lawyers who practice in federal court. So, we’ll start with a few things to remember:
- The mudbug, specifically Procambaras charkii, is Louisiana’s official state crustacean.
- Louisiana is the only state with an official crustacean.
- The court cited Wikipedia for the first two takeaways.
- The Wikipedia cite could have been a bit in jest. Federal courts are loath to rely on Wikipedia for anything important to the case because, according to the courts, it is inherently and admittedly unreliable, is written by volunteers from anywhere, and can be changed on a whim anytime.
- To be serious for a moment, in this dispute the tension between oil and gas operations and other competing and potentially incompatible land uses is displayed. This tension has always existed and is not going away.